POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : What is this HDRI thing? : Re: What is this HDRI thing? Server Time
5 Jul 2024 12:52:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is this HDRI thing?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 28 Dec 2002 07:28:57
Message: <3e0d9909@news.povray.org>

3e0d620d@news.povray.org...
>   How this is done? Simply using the regular radiosity algorithm in
POV-Ray?
> Or is there a new algorithm for this as well?

From what I've understood, there's nothing really new in the way POV-Ray
handles radiosity itself, it's the map that does all the work and that's the
real beauty of it. The radiosity itself is traditional but because light
intensity has a much wider range in the HDR map than in a usual map (like in
the real world) it makes the results much more natural-looking, even in the
absence of specular highlights. This becomes clearer if you load HDR maps in
HDRShop (at Paul Debevec's page http://www.debevec.org) and play with the
exposure settings. The maps then reveal themselves in their 2 dimensions
(color and light intensity).

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com